Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was the signature sweet treat of a neighbor, who has sadly passed on now. But we think of her every time we make this recipe! They are delicious, light bites, perfect for tea parties or other get-togethers. The yield is an approximation - I tend to cut them larger without paying attention, because they are so darn delicious!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus some extra to taste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 lb butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Grease a 9x9" or 7x11" baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, and cornstarch, mixing well.
- Slowly stir flour mixture into the melted butter, until well combined.
- Gently press dough into pan with knuckles.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Immediately cut into 1" squares and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Allow shortbread to cool before removing from pan.
This is a very rich, crumbly and super delish shortbread recipe!!!!
It comes together quickly and easily and tastes very yummy.
I liked the way the butter was incorporated as it was way easier than rubbing and kneading it in in its solid state. Somehow I ended up with a very liquid dough, though eventhough I did not add all the butter called for. Maybe thats just the different climate here. I had to add in a good deal more flour, but that did the trick.
The baking time seemed a little too long as my shorbread was coloured quite quickly (maybe after 15 min), but I think the full 30 min are really needed for the dough to bake through.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this special and delish treat with us, starrynews!
Made and reviewed for your being VIP during Veggie Swap #25 August 2010.
As a HUGE shortbread fan, this was great. Made for ZWT8, The Fearless Red Dragons
I thought the flavor and texture of this shortbread was very good. Mine only crumbled a little bit which I attributed to my not pressing hard enough when I put the dough into the pan. I highly recommend this shortbread! Made for PAC Spring 2012.