1/1 Photo of Scottish Shortbread
1 hr 15 mins
A Delia Smith recipe. Everyone's favourite on campus here.. try it and see for yourself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to gas mark 2/300°F/150°C.
- 2Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- 3First of all, beat the butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon to soften it.
- 4Beat in the sugar, followed by the sifted flour and semolina.
- 5Work the ingredients together with the spoon, pressing them to the side of the bowl, then finish off with your hands until you have a smooth mixture that doesn't leave any bits in the bowl.
- 6Divide the mixture into 9, and shape each portion into a ball (dust the work surface with flour if you find the mixture too sticky to work with).
- 7Flatten each one slightly and prick the centre with a fork (but not all the way through).
- 8To make it look pretty, make a 1 cm crinkly border on the top by lightly pressing a fork making a slight indent working all the way around (working for the edge towards the centre).
- 9Make sure that the biscuits are at least 1/2 inch in thickness (with the indentations at the edges).
- 10Place onto the prepared baking sheet, very well spaced out as they will spread out quite a bit during baking.
- 11Bake them for 50-60 minutes on the centre shelf of the oven (keep an eye on it after 45 mins - the edges seem to colour more easily than the top) – it should have turned pale gold and feel firm in the centre.
- 12Remove from the oven and dust the top with caster sugar.
- 13Leave it to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 14Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 867.9
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 124.6 mg
- Sodium 335.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 11.2 g