Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A creamy, "risotto"-like porridge made with Steel cut oats(sometimes called Irish or scotch oats). This keeps you going all morning long!
- 1⁄4 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup milk (any %)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine Oats and Milk in a covered container and soak in fridge overnight.
- Bring oats and milk to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add salt.
- Just before oatmeal reaches your desired consistency, stir in brown sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Remove from heat and pour into bowl and add more cinnamon and sugar, if necessary.
I just found Scotch Oats at Costco and made this recipe! Really nice. I forgot to put in the cinnamon but it was really good, even without it! (I'll try to remember next time!) Thanks!
Delicious. And very filling! After soaking overnight, I simmered it for about 15 mins. until it had a thick consistency. One tbsp sweetener is just enough (I used palm sugar), and a pat of butter on top finished it off. I had some fresh strawberries that I fogot to sprinkle on... darn it! It is VERY creamy so next time I'll use half water to soak it. Nice recipe!
I had steel cut oats in my cabinet but I'm not sure why. I decided to try this out and it is delicious! I used skim milk. It mentions cooking to desired consistency, but I didn't really know what I desired, so I just kept stirring until it looked like it wasn't going to reduce anymore. Not sure if I was supposed to, but I stirred continuously to prevent the milk from burning in the bottom of the nonstick. Thanks, I'll make this again!