1 hr 10 mins
curly top's Note:
A baked version of kaiserschmarrn (the emperor's pancakes), a traditional Austrian dish. The best way to describe this would be dessert enchiladas, made with crepes, fruit filling and custard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 3 apples (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
Optional add ins
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 2Blend on high speed all ingredients until smooth and uniform with no lumps.
- 3Let crepe batter stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
- 4Use a large heavy bottom skillet over medium heat.
- 5Spray or spread small amount of oil.
- 6Scoop about 1/4 cup batter and pour into pan.
- 7Immediately roll pan to all sides to create a thin layer over the bottom.
- 8Cook until the top starts to loose its wet look.
- 9Flip crepe using a wide spatula.
- 10Cook for 30 seconds more.
- 11Remove to plate and repeat until batter is gone.
- 12Makes about 7-8 crepes.
- 13Fruit Filling:.
- 14Peel and core apples, slice thinly.
- 15In saucepan over med-high heat cook all filling ingredients until thick and sticky, about 10-12 minutes.
- 17Blend all ingredients on high speed until well mixed.
- 18Lightly grease a shallow 4 cup baking dish.
- 19Take one crepe, spread small amount of fruit filling and roll up jelly roll style.
- 20Cut into 4 pieces and place pieces in dish, seam side down.
- 21Repeat with remaining crepes and fruit, creating a single layer in the dish.
- 22Raisins can be sprinkled over crepes if desired.
- 23Pour mixed custard over the rolled crepes.
- 24Place the dish inside a lager dish and add hot water, enough to come half way up the sides of the dish with the crepes.
- 25Bake 40 mins at 350.
- 26The top will be starting to turn golden brown and will be firm to the touch.
- 27Remove from oven and set to cool while glaze is prepared.
- 28Mix all glaze ingredients (except nuts) and spread over the top of the dessert.
- 29Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- 30Serve with small amount of whipped cream if desired.
Nutritional Facts for Schmarrn
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 235.7 mg
- Sodium 178.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 45.2 g
- Protein 9.7 g