Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A baked version of kaiserschmarrn (the emperor's pancakes), a traditional Austrian dish. The best way to describe this would be dessert enchiladas, made with crepes, fruit filling and custard.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 3 apples (about 3/4 pound)
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
Optional add ins
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Blend on high speed all ingredients until smooth and uniform with no lumps.
- Let crepe batter stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Use a large heavy bottom skillet over medium heat.
- Spray or spread small amount of oil.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup batter and pour into pan.
- Immediately roll pan to all sides to create a thin layer over the bottom.
- Cook until the top starts to loose its wet look.
- Flip crepe using a wide spatula.
- Cook for 30 seconds more.
- Remove to plate and repeat until batter is gone.
- Makes about 7-8 crepes.
- Fruit Filling:.
- Peel and core apples, slice thinly.
- In saucepan over med-high heat cook all filling ingredients until thick and sticky, about 10-12 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients on high speed until well mixed.
- Lightly grease a shallow 4 cup baking dish.
- Take one crepe, spread small amount of fruit filling and roll up jelly roll style.
- Cut into 4 pieces and place pieces in dish, seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining crepes and fruit, creating a single layer in the dish.
- Raisins can be sprinkled over crepes if desired.
- Pour mixed custard over the rolled crepes.
- Place the dish inside a lager dish and add hot water, enough to come half way up the sides of the dish with the crepes.
- Bake 40 mins at 350.
- The top will be starting to turn golden brown and will be firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and set to cool while glaze is prepared.
- Mix all glaze ingredients (except nuts) and spread over the top of the dessert.
- Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- Serve with small amount of whipped cream if desired.