Recipe by Danny Beason
Recipe Quest Exported from MasterCook *
Top Review by the.divateacher
Made the bread using a sourdough starter and yeast. It was scary because it wasn't dough; it was batter. I was sure it was too watery! When I took it out of the oven, it was still wet inside. The cooling period is critical. I used glass pie pans to hold in heat when baking and cooling.
Schlotzskys Sandwich Rolls
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
- 6 ounces warm milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda, softened in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
The Large Original Sandwich
- 1⁄2 ounce garlic caesar salad dressing
- 1⁄2 ounce parmesan cheese
- 2 1⁄2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄2 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces honey cured ham slices
- 1 ounce cotto salami, slices
- 1 ounce genoa salami, slices
- 1 1⁄2 ounces marinated olives
- 1⁄2 ounce yellow mustard
- shredded lettuce
- tomatoes, slices
- white onion, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl combine warm water, sugar and yeast.
- Let stand about 5 minutes till very bubbly.
- With wire whisk add the rest with only 1 cup of the flour, beating to smooth dough.
- Beat in rest of flour till batter is thick and sticky but smooth, all flour being dissolved Divide dough between 5 oven-proof, Pam-sprayed, cornmeal dusted (let excess shake out) soup bowls (each 5" in diameter).
- OR FOR MORE authentic shape divide batter equally between 5 greased cans from 1-1/2 lb Dinty Moore Stew, insides also dusted in cornmeal.
- Cover each one in a square of Saran wrap sprayed in a bit of Pam and that side down.
- Let raise almost an hour or till above rim of bowls or cans.
- Discard Saran pieces.
- Bake on center rack of 375~ oven about 20 minutes or till golden brown.
- Let cool in containers on rack, spraying tops each in a bit of Pam while they cool to keep crusts soft.
- TO USE FOR SANDWICHES-slice in half horizontally and grill on lightly buttered hot griddle as you would for grilled cheese sandwich or broiler toast till golden.
- Spread garlic dressing over both sides of bun.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese on bottom bun.
- Spread mustard and mozzarella cheese on top bun.
- Toast to melt cheese.
- Heat meats and place on buns with ham on bottom and salamis on top.
- Build with olives, tomato, lettuce and onion.