Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quite inexpensive if your fisherman has been lucky! ;-) From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago
- 3 lbs pike (any fish will do) or 3 lbs pickerel, cleaned and scaled (any fish will do)
- water, just to cover
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Cook fish in water seasoned with salt, vinegar and onion.
- Drain and bone, reserving one cup of stock.
- Melt butter, add flour and hot fish stock gradually.
- Cook until thickened; pour onto the beaten egg yolk gradually and stir until blended.
- Serve sauce over fish and garnish with parsley.