Recipe by Pietro
A great tasting treat from the Molise region of Italy. Scarpelli was a treat reserved for special occasions such as feast days. Very similar to pikelets.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a jug, whisk egg, vanilla, sugar and milk.
- Place flour in a bowl.
- Add mixture to flour and mix well.
- Mixture should be of a cake consistency.
- Add more milk or flour to make the consistency right.
- Leave mixture for 30 minutes to rise.
- In a non stick pan, over low heat, place a quantity of olive oil to enable shallow frying.
- Place a tablespoon of mixture per scarpelli in the pan and cook 10 to 12 scarpelli at a time.
- When scarpelli are golden on both sides, remove scarpelli and place on paper towel.
- Sprinkle scarpelli with sugar and eat warm.
- Keep heat low to moderate as scarpelli will burn and not cook thoroughly if heat is too high.
- Scarpelli are best eaten on the day that they are made.