1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the cooking rack about 6 inches from the bottom of the oven, and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Remove the chicken giblets, and any feathers or extra fat; rinse the chicken inside and out with cold running water and pat dry.
- 3Generously salt and pepper the chicken, inside and out.
- 4Stuff the cavity with sprigs of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and the quartered lemon.
- 5Place chicken breast side up into a large Dutch oven or Le Creuset pan, tucking legs together (tie legs together with string, if necessary) and tucking the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- 6Brush outside of chicken with melted butter, drizzle with wine, and sprinkle generously with additional salt and pepper.
- 7Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes, or until chicken is nicely browned.
- 8When chicken has browned, cover loosely with aluminum foil and continue to roast for an additional 25-35 minutes, or until juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- 9Remove chicken from oven to a platter and cover with aluminum foil; let rest for 15 minutes.
- 10Before serving, remove the herb stuffing from inside the bird, discard.
- 11Make a gravy from the drippings if desired, and serve with slices of roast chicken, stuffing, seasonal veggies, and mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scarborough Fair Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.7
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 208.5 mg
- Sodium 231.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 45.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: