Recipe by Bergy
This is a very traditional Danish dish and one that merchant sailors love to make when they come off night watch and want a quick easy hot meal. It is so simple and very good. Great recipe for re-cycling left over roasts etc. Add some peas or some mushrooms, Any left over veggies. The egg is optional but don't miss out on it
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked cold potatoes, diced
- 1 lb cooked leftover meat
- 4 fried eggs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the 1/2 the butter in a skillet.
- Add the onions and saute until golden.
- remove from pan and keep warm.
- Put the remaining butter in the skillet and saute the potatoes until they are turning brown.
- Add meat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until all is heated through.
- Traditionally, you put a lightly fried egg on top of the hash, but while this isn't necessary for the dish it IS a delicious addition.