Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very traditional Danish dish and one that merchant sailors love to make when they come off night watch and want a quick easy hot meal. It is so simple and very good. Great recipe for re-cycling left over roasts etc. Add some peas or some mushrooms, Any left over veggies. The egg is optional but don't miss out on it
- Melt the 1/2 the butter in a skillet.
- Add the onions and saute until golden.
- remove from pan and keep warm.
- Put the remaining butter in the skillet and saute the potatoes until they are turning brown.
- Add meat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until all is heated through.
- Traditionally, you put a lightly fried egg on top of the hash, but while this isn't necessary for the dish it IS a delicious addition.
Absolutely would make again and if you asked me what time is dinner? It's when I see you come through the door.
And there is me thinking that Vikings just raped and pillaged, when in fact they were cooking up a storm with this amazing dish! Sign me up to the Viking Merchant Sailor's dating agency, they can cook for me any day of the week! Great and such a wonderful recipe for leftovers, sort of like British Bubble and Squeak with horns! I used left over cooked DANISH ham and we enjoyed this for a late brunch with salad and an egg each. Made for the Scandi games in KK's forum, a veritable Viking victory thanks Bergy!
As always, Bergy, an extremely delicious dish! One of my family's favorites! I had this for b'fast with the egg on top, and again the next day with some fruit! It's a standard at my house! Thnx for posting. Made for KcK's Forum The Scandinavia Kitchen!