Recipe by Oolala
My DH loves scallops so I have collected many recipes that I'm just getting around to posting. Taken from Food and Wine magazine, by Marcia Kiesel. Note: You ignite the whiskey.
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄3 cup whiskey
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the mushrooms with the lemon juice.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoons of the butter and add the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until they start to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to moderate and cook until the mushrooms are deeply browned, about 6 minutes and then transfer to a large plate.
- Add 1 tablespoons of the butter the skillet and melt over high heat.
- Add the scallops to the pan in an even layer and season with salt and pepper .
- Cook the scallops undisturbed until they start to brown and some juices are exuded, about 2 minutes.
- Stir briefly, then transfer the scallops and any accumulated juices to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and the scallions to the skillet.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the whiskey and carefully ignite it with a long match.
- When the flames die down, add the cream, mushrooms and any juices from the scallops.
- Simmer the sauce until slightly reduced.
- Add the scallops to the sauce, season with salt and pepper and serve.