Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another winner from "Hometown Cooking". People who don't like onions may just change their minds after one bite of this.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 medium sweet yellow onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 3 ounces process swiss cheese, torn
- 1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers (28 crackers)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half or 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- In a large skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons butter or margarine over medium heat.
- Add onions and sweet pepper; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in pimiento.
- Place half of the onion mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart square or oval baking dish; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese, then half of the finely crushed crackers.
- Top evenly with remaining onion mixture, then remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half or light cream, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour over layers in baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining finely crushed crackers and the 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle over layers in dish.
- Bake, uncovered in a 325 degree oven about 25 minutes or until set in center.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I LOOOOVE onions, and I was sooo excited to discover this recipe!! The only thing I changed is that I used mozzarella cheese instead of the swiss (personal preference). I used half and half, and the texture and flavor of this dish was just out of this world!! Thank you, yooper, for a wonderful recipe!:) ~Manda