Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on the Taste of Home discussion boards under "recipes." The apples are sweetly spiced, and the bread pieces, sauteed in butter and sprinkled atop, are the perfect addition. I'd never tried anything like it, and it turned out to be very good. I typed the recipe as it was originally posted and added the slight changes I made.
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled,cored and sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I tore mine into about 1" cubes)
- Toss apples with sugar and spices.
- In skillet, melt butter.
- Add bread crumbs, stirring until crispy and slightly brown (I used tongs to turn the pieces of bread over as they browned).
- Place the apple mixture in a greased 8" pan, then put the crumbs evenly on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Check after 20 minutes; if crumbs are getting too brown, cover with foil (I actually baked mine, uncovered, for only about 25 minutes).
This is the second time I have made this recipe. The first time, I doubled it and made it for a crowd. Everyone LOVED it. This time just for hubby and I. I read the other review which reminded me that I had a part of a loaf that was a sourdough cinnamon swirl and thought it would be perfect. I also want to say, there is really NO need to add sugar to the bread crumbs. The buttery bread crumbs are perfect!! We ate it as a side dish with pork the last time I made it. This time it will be desert with homemade vanilla ice cream.
Very nice, and healthy, dessert! We loved it with some whipped topping on it. I used Splenda and mixed the day old oatmeal bread I had with 1/4 cup of Splenda before I sauteed it in the butter. Baked it about 45 min and did have to add the foil after 20 minutes as the apples needed a little longer to cook. This would be good with cinnamon bread as the topping and maybe some craisins or raisins in the apples. Thanks, Carole in Orlando