Recipe by Linda
I found this recipe on the Taste of Home discussion boards under "recipes." The apples are sweetly spiced, and the bread pieces, sauteed in butter and sprinkled atop, are the perfect addition. I'd never tried anything like it, and it turned out to be very good. I typed the recipe as it was originally posted and added the slight changes I made.
Top Review by datadoll
This is the second time I have made this recipe. The first time, I doubled it and made it for a crowd. Everyone LOVED it. This time just for hubby and I. I read the other review which reminded me that I had a part of a loaf that was a sourdough cinnamon swirl and thought it would be perfect. I also want to say, there is really NO need to add sugar to the bread crumbs. The buttery bread crumbs are perfect!! We ate it as a side dish with pork the last time I made it. This time it will be desert with homemade vanilla ice cream.
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled,cored and sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I tore mine into about 1" cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss apples with sugar and spices.
- In skillet, melt butter.
- Add bread crumbs, stirring until crispy and slightly brown (I used tongs to turn the pieces of bread over as they browned).
- Place the apple mixture in a greased 8" pan, then put the crumbs evenly on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Check after 20 minutes; if crumbs are getting too brown, cover with foil (I actually baked mine, uncovered, for only about 25 minutes).