Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe adds a little heat that can be varied according to your taste. The serranos can be subsituted with jalapenos or habaneros.
- 2 -3 serranos, minced
- 2 cups diced green bell peppers
- 2 cups diced white onions
- 6 cups diced ham or 6 cups turkey ham
- 1 cup butter
- 5 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shreaded cheddar cheese (reserve 1 cup for topping)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced
- parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot or pan, melt butter over low heat. When melted, add salt, pepper and flour while stirring for about a minute. Slowly add milk while stirring until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- In a large baking dish, spray non-stick coating on bottom and sides. Pour in mixture and cover dish tightly with foil to steam potatoes. Place in oven for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove foil and return to oven for about 50 minutes. Pull from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese over top and return to the oven for an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese has melted on top. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley.