Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A different, but delicious twist on an old favorite.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 large red peppers, roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook onion and garlic until slightly softened.
- Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in Gruyere cheese and parsley. Set aside.
- Arrange 1/2 potatoes in a buttered baking dish.
- Cover with 1/2 the sauce.
- Scatter all the red peppers over it.
- Repeat layer of potato and sauce.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake covered for 1 1/4 hour at 350°F.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes until golden.