Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've had this recipe for longer than I care to remember. My SIL served it to me a million years ago; I loved it and was surprised that it contained eggplant... which I thought I didn't like. It is yummy!
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing or 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook eggplant in salted, boiling water for 6-7 minutes until tender; drain.
- Mix soup and milk in large bowl; add egg.
- Stir in eggplant, onion, and bread crumbs, tossing lightly to mix.
- Turn into a greased 8x8" or 10x6" pan; sprinkle w/ grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
really nice.. thanks for sharing, Impera_Magna! :)
This was so good! My DH & I rated it separately. He gave it a 4, saying he liked 1 other eggplant dish I'd served him better. Altho the taste rated a 5, I also gave it a 4 because I had some prep doubts. Altho it didn't say, I assumed a rough 3/4 in cube would work. I also worried about boiling it w/so many eggplant dishes making an issue of excess water, so I sauteed it in a sml amt of olive oil. Also, cheese was mentioned on the ingredient list, but not in the prep. I assumed it would be added to the top when close to done, but it smelled & looked so good that I didn't bother & we didn't miss it at all. This will be on our table again soon!
This was such a pleasant surprise! Usually, I avoid canned soups because of the sodium content, but since that was the extent of sodium, I went for it. I LOVED it. First of all, I adore eggplant, and secondly, I respect this person's ability based on her other recipes thus far. I did just a bit of tweaking. I browned the onions in a splash of grapeseed oil and added 1/4 cup of chopped red pepper. This only enhanced an already delightful dish.