Recipe by sallee in Kingsville, Ont
This is a recipe I made up and is a favorate at Christmas and all winter long in place of mashed potatoes. What sets it off is the use of rosemary. If there is leftovers they don't last long.
- 6 -8 potatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced and broken into rings
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup of shredded meduim cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
Directions See How It's Made
- In meduim sauce pan melt the butter (careful not to brown).
- Add the flour and stir over medium heat.
- Stir in all the spices and the minced garlic.
- Gradually stir in milk until slightly thickened.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt slightly.
- Pour over potatoes and evenly distributed onions (in a covered baking dish).
- Put in a 350 oven and cook until potatoes are cooked through (if you find that the dish is drying out add a couple of tablespoons of milk).