Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 cup brown rice (white would be fine if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (2 c for white rice)
- 4 -5 scallions, sliced
- Place a medium-size pot with a lid over medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook it for a minute, then add the chicken stock.
- Bring the liquids up to a bubble, then put the lid on the pot, reduce the heat and cook until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid, 40-45 minutes (18-20 minutes for white rice).
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and stir in scallions.
- Alternately you can cook this in your rice cooker, according to cooking directions. I have to presoak brown rice. Just skip the browning, oil is optional, and add scallions at the end. Fluff and serve.
A really lovely rice dish! I enjoyed the flavour- similar to chinese style rice but without the fuss! Next time though, I would add some garlic to the oil to boost the flavour a little. Thanks for a fantastic recipe that I'll be returning to again and again!