Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple cous cous perfect for side dish.
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter in sauce pan (which has a lid).
- Add chopped onions, stir and allow to cook until soft.
- Stir in crushed garlic.
- Add couscous, stir.
- Add chicken stock, stir and bring to boil.
- Remove off heat, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in coriander or parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish.
*Reviewed for Zaar World Tour 3* Couscous doesn't get any easier than this! Nice and easy to prepare with great flavours. An easy versatile side dish. Thanks for another great recipe
My experience with most couscous dishes is that they are bland, and this one was no different. I used regular vegetable broth (not low sodium) instead of chicken stock because there were vegetarians at the table, the full 2 cloves of garlic and chopped cilantro/coriander. I suspect the onions lose some of their flavour sitting in the broth for 5 minutes. If there is a next time, I'd consider removing the onions and garlic from the pot before adding the broth, then stir them back in with the cilantro after the couscous has cooked.
I made this recipe last night to go with pork chops. We loved it. I used parsley since my cilantro isnt growiing yet but very good. Thank you for sharing your recipe with me.