Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple cous cous perfect for side dish.
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter in sauce pan (which has a lid).
- Add chopped onions, stir and allow to cook until soft.
- Stir in crushed garlic.
- Add couscous, stir.
- Add chicken stock, stir and bring to boil.
- Remove off heat, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in coriander or parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish.
My experience with most couscous dishes is that they are bland, and this one was no different. I used regular vegetable broth (not low sodium) instead of chicken stock because there were vegetarians at the table, the full 2 cloves of garlic and chopped cilantro/coriander. I suspect the onions lose some of their flavour sitting in the broth for 5 minutes. If there is a next time, I'd consider removing the onions and garlic from the pot before adding the broth, then stir them back in with the cilantro after the couscous has cooked.
I made this recipe last night to go with pork chops. We loved it. I used parsley since my cilantro isnt growiing yet but very good. Thank you for sharing your recipe with me.
*Reviewed for Zaar World Tour 3* Couscous doesn't get any easier than this! Nice and easy to prepare with great flavours. An easy versatile side dish. Thanks for another great recipe