Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
The French have a way of turning a simple meal into an elegant affair. This galette, accompanied by grapes and wine will stand out.
- 1 lb Roquefort cheese or 1 lb camembert cheese, softened and rind discarded,cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into bits
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted lightly
egg wash made by beating
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- red grapes, as an accompaniment
- Make filling: In a food processor, blend together Roquefort (or camembert), cream, wine, egg yolk, flour and season to taste.
- Blend until filling is smooth.
- Make crust: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; add butter and blend until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in eggs and, on a lightly-floured surface, knead dough lightly for several seconds, or until combined.
- Divide dough in half, shape into balls and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
- On the lightly-floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into a 10 inch round.
- Press 1 round into bottom and ¾ inch up the sides of a buttered 9 inch round cake pan.
- Spread filling evenly over and sprinkle with almonds.
- With a butter knife, fold the edge of the dough over filling.
- Arrange remaining dough round on top and, with the knife, press edges together, enclosing filling and sealing.
- Score top in a diamond pattern with a fork.
- Brush with egg wash and chill for atleast 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- Bake in the middle of oven for 50-55 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edge of galette.
- Turn out carefully and invert onto platter.
- Let cool completely and serve with red grapes and a green salad.
Crust a little too heavy for such a lovely filling.