Recipe by TheCharcoalGourmet
This recipe I made up on the spot when asked to guest host in the Grilling Forum. I have cooked many pork roasts and this one beats them all by a million! You can prepare the roast the day before and let marinate overnight. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Rita~
Wayne you did so good here!!! Please forgive me for my changes!!! :) I had the pork sliced and wanted to make this recipe so I compromised and it was yummy! I used my 5, 1 1/2 -2 inch boneless pork loins that I made a pocket in it for your stuffing. I did wonder why make all the extra stuffing, BUT darn do it!!!! I placed the extra in double wrapped foil. I should have buttered the foil first. I did use only 3 cups of the apple cider not 6. Marinaded in the 3 cups, then heated the cider, cooled and added 1 cup to the stuffing. Stuffed the loins with maybe half the stuffing. Placed the rest in foil. Stuffing in foil went on the top shelf on my grill. The loins I seared on a 450 degree on the grill about 1-2 minutes per side. Meanwhile heated the remaining cider in a foil pan on the grill. Once the loins had sear marks I placed them in the cider cut side up, Over indirect heat. Closed lid with a thermometer in cooking till 160 degrees. Removed from grill lightly tented with foil for 15 minutes. Rest time is important!!!! I must say this does make enough for twice the servings. So do recalculate the Nutritional servings. So yummy! Thanks Wayne. (((HUGS)))
- 8 -10 lbs pork sirloin roast
- 3 cups apple cider
- 5 cups bread cubes
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut your roast in half lengthwise and unfold it open like a book. Put it in a roasting pan and pour the apple cider over it. Inject some of the cider into the roast at 1" intervals. (this takes approximately 1 beer). Set aside.
- Prepare the stuffing: Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure all bread is moistened with the apple cider. Spoon approximately half of the stuffing onto the center of the pork, wrap the remaining in a foil packet.(another beer).
- Fold over one side of the pork so that the stuffing is now in the middle of the meat. Tie with butcher twine. Put the roast back into the pan and let marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- Cooking instructions: Preheat your coals, or gas bbq if that's what you have. If using coals: Separate coals to either side of bbq leaving a space in the middle. Put roast directly over coals on one side, fat side down. Let roast this way until seared,(approx. 1 beer) then turn over and place roast in center of bbq, over the space, between the 2 beds of coals. Let roast until internal temperature reaches 170 with meat thermometer (approx 3 hours or 6 beers).
- If using gas bbq: After preheating bbq, put roast on fat side down until seared (approx. 20 mins). Turn off one burner and turn the roast over placing over top of side with burner "off" Turn other burner down to "low". Put foil stuffing packet on bbq with roast. Roast until internal temperature reaches 170 with a meat thermometer. (approximately 3 hours).
- Cut strings, scoop out stuffing and slice roast into 3/4" thick slices.
- Mix stuffing with stuffing from packet and serve separately ( or with beer).