Chef #1349514's Note:
This flavorful, low cost recipe is ready in the time it takes your rice to cook, about 30 minutes. High fiber with beans and brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb cooked Italian sausage (about 4)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (a small tender one)
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 15 ounces canned red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion (dry spice or fresh chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (substitute ( celery salt, red & black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (I like Trader Joe's Medley)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon (which is usually 1 packet or 1 cube)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Bring 2 1/2 cups water, bullion and bay leaf to a boil. Add 1 cup rice. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 to 35 minute.
- 2You make take 15 minutes to prepare a fresh green salad to accompany the meal (or put your feet up!) The skillet portion will only take 15 minutes and you want it to be ready exactly when the rice is done. * If you begin the skillet when you begin the rice, you will overcook the beans and corn (yuck).
- 3Half way through rice cooking time -- Heat skillet/fry pan to medium high, add olive oil.
- 4Chop sausage and zucchini bite size and add to hot pan with minced onion. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until zucchini softens and sausage begins to brown.
- 5Add cup of corn (straight from freezer is fine), drain and gently rinse kidney beans and add to skillet.
- 6Season with old bay, garlic and paprika. Bring to a simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat when everything is heated through and fragrant.
- 8Remove rice from heat. Discard the Bay Leaf.
- 9Serve sausage mixture over rice. TASTE before adding any salt as the sausage, old bay and bullion all provide plenty of sodium.*Whatever portions go in the skillet are up to you -- if you only have 3 sausages thats fine, love corn? add more. Try substituting summer squash, other bean types -- etc.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Sausage Quick Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.7
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.5 mg
- Sodium 1418.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning