Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Savory little wafers with pesto. Great for the holidays, especially when you're strapped for time! Mix and roll the dough, freeze, then thaw and bake when you need them. From Relish magazine.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup chopped almonds or 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup whole pine nuts
- kosher salt
- Sift together flour, peppers and salt. Stir in cheese.
- Combine butter and cream cheese; using a mixer, beat until well combined. Add pesto and mix well.
- Add flour mixture, basil leaves and nuts. Mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll into logs 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll each log in kosher salt. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm. If baking later, freeze shaped dough and defrost slightly before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slice dough 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week, or freeze up to a month.