A nice fall bread excellent spread with cream cheese or butter. Sort of on the idea of a pumpkin bread. This was a recipe from Lord & Taylor from quite a few years ago. They had a salute to Savannah Geeorgia and were serving miniatures of this bread at their store resturants. Our Local Paper snagged the recipe from their chef.
- In a bowl, cream butter untill smooth. Add brown sugar, mixing until blended.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Blend in mashed sweet potatoes, nutmeg and allspice, mixing well.
- Add sifted flour alternately with milk, mixing until smooth. Fold in chopped pecans and grated orange rind.
- Transfer batter to a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 5/8 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven, 45 to 50 minutes, or until loaf springs back to touch and starts to leave sides of pan.
- Let cool in pan, on a rack for 10 minutes. Shake loaf loose and turn out onto a rack and cool completely before wrapping in foil to store.
- Slice and serve plain or with butter or softened cream cheese.