Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These yummy little corn cakes are a great side dish for chicken or fish, and they also make a good appetizer. You can prepare the batter a few hours ahead and refrigerate, then saute just before serving.
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, remove kernels from cob
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and very finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, mashed to a paste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (add more if you like)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 large eggs (if eggs are smaller use 4)
- 2⁄3 cup monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl,mix sweet corn kernels and all other ingredients except oil, making sure to mix very well.
- In a large skillet (or 2 skillets if small) heat the oil.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoons full into the skillet.
- Flatten batter, and cook until lightly browned on both sides (about 1 to 2 minutes per side) Cover with foil and keep warm in the oven at low temperature until ready to serve.
I thought these were very good. Nice change of pace. Great flavor. Kid friendly. Will make again.
These are absolutely the most delicious corn cakes I have ever had. A little more work than usual, and since fresh corn right now is $1 an ear, I opted to use frozen...not unfavorable at all. They smelled wonderful cooking up, and everyone raved when served. I did add Kate Geraghy's recipe#160710 Coating Cheese Sauce to put over the cakes... good with our without.