Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't remember where I got this recipe, but it is a real keeper. It is easy, but looks complicated. My family loved it and the best thing is that you just serve a simple green salad with it and you have a complete meal. You can substitute ground beef for the sausage if you don't want the spicy taste of the sausage.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chunky Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- coarsely ground pepper
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and green pepper until tender, drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Add meat to sauce.
- Cut a wedge out of top of bread about 2 inches wide and 3/4 way through the loaf.
- Fill loaf with meat sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese and ground pepper.
- Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
This was very tasty, and the addition of aniseed provides a lovely flavor. I used ground beef instead of sausage meat, as suggested, and added 1 1/2 teaspoons of sambal oelek to give it a bit of 'bite'. I was unsure what size can of tomato sauce was required. I decided on 12 ounces, which was just the right amount. I used a crusty Vienna loaf which was about 11 inches long by 5 inches wide. After filling the loaf, I put the lid back on before wrapping it in foil. Make sure the meat sauce is piping hot before you put it into the bread - mine was cool, and it took 45 minutes to heat through properly in the oven. Thanks for sharing this recipe Jellyqueen, I will make it again.
Made this tonight with a French bread recipe I also found on this website. What a keeper. My kids all seven years of age and under devoured these sammies. Thanks for a great recipe!
Very good & easy to make. I used jalapenos instead of bell peppers, and also added mushrooms. I baked it for 16 minutes and it was perfect. My DH, 3 year-old DD, and I all enjoyed this. Thanks for posting!