Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Great recipe for Christmas brunch or any brunch. You can put it all together the day before and just pop it in the oven. If you wish to bake it right away that's fine too but let it sit at room temp for about 1/2 hour so the bread has a chance to absorb the egg. This recipe is favorite of mine but originally came from "Company's Coming for Christmas".
- 12 slices your favorite bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt & pepper
- 2 2⁄3 cups milk
- 2 lbs your favorite sausages, slipped out of their casings (Brats, hot Italian etc)
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Scramble fry the sausage meat until cooked, drain off all the fat.
- Line the greased dish with 6 slices of bread.
- Sprinkle in the cheese.
- Pour the fried sausage meat over the cheese layer.
- Cover meat with remaining slices of bread.
- Beat the eggs together with milk, salt, pepper, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, & mustard powder.
- Pour over the bread in the baking dish.
- Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to bake it preheat oven to 350°F Have the strata dish close to room temperature (so you don't crack the baking dish with it being too cold). Bake for approx 1 hour or until set.
this recipe is good; however, the instructions do not include the addition of the milk with the eggs. Milk is left out in the in-structions all together.
Wow, what a hit! I served this to my family for our reunion brunch and it was a huge success! I used spicy pork sausage and hot mustard powder. It was delicious! Thanks for sharing!