Recipe by LorenLou
We've tried many breakfast casseroles but always come back to this one. My children have finally put their feet down and told me this is the only one I can make from now on. Prep time does not include refrigeration.
Top Review by Boca Pat
This was such a great treat for a Sunday morning. I cut the recipe in half, but other than that, didn't change a thing. I used Jimmy Dean hot sausage, 2% milk, whole wheat bread, Jack cheese and also added the chilies. DH and I enjoyed this so much. It was so simple and SO delicious. Thanks LorenLou for a keeper.
- 8 slices bread, decrusted and cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, crumbled and cooked (we prefer hot, but you can use any combination of hot and regular)
- 6 eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of dish with the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the grated cheese over the bread.
- Next, sprinkle the chilies if you are using them.
- Crumble the sausage over this.
- Mix the eggs, milk and spices- pour over the casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Bake uncovered at 300°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.