Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
We've tried many breakfast casseroles but always come back to this one. My children have finally put their feet down and told me this is the only one I can make from now on. Prep time does not include refrigeration.
- 8 slices bread, decrusted and cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, crumbled and cooked (we prefer hot, but you can use any combination of hot and regular)
- 6 eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of dish with the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the grated cheese over the bread.
- Next, sprinkle the chilies if you are using them.
- Crumble the sausage over this.
- Mix the eggs, milk and spices- pour over the casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Bake uncovered at 300°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
This was such a great treat for a Sunday morning. I cut the recipe in half, but other than that, didn't change a thing. I used Jimmy Dean hot sausage, 2% milk, whole wheat bread, Jack cheese and also added the chilies. DH and I enjoyed this so much. It was so simple and SO delicious. Thanks LorenLou for a keeper.