Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A fun sandwich packed with grilled flavors on a summer night. Serve with ice-cold beer for a real taste treat.
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 large yellow peppers
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links or 2 lbs hot Italian sausage links
- 8 soft hoagie rolls or 8 club rolls, sliced almost in half horizontally
- Place whole peppers on hot grill rack; cover and grill 10 to 15 minutes or until skins are charred and blistered, turning occasionally.
- Transfer peppers to a sheet of foil; wrap around peppers and allow to steam at room temperature 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- While peppers steam, brush onion slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush grill rack with oil.
- Place onions, sausages and tomatoes on hot grill rack; grill 10 to 15 minutes or until onions are tender and golden, sausages are browned and cooked and tomatoes begin to char and soften (you may need to remove tomatoes 5 minutes before the onions are done), turning vegetables once and sausages occasionally.
- Transfer to a warm serving platter and cut tomatoes in half again; keep warm.
- Remove peppers from the foil.
- Cut each pepper in half lengthwise; peel off skin; discard stems and seeds.
- Cut peppers into 1/4 inch strips and transfer to platter with sausages.
- Place rolls, cut side down, on grill rack and heat until lightly toasted.
- Serve sausages, onions, peppers and tomatoes on rolls.
You're right, Karen, this is THE perfect summer meal. I haven't stopped thinking about it. Sooo good.