Recipe by Miss Erin C.
This is something I came up with to satify my BH's craving for cannelloni when I already had planned to make lasagna. The bechamel sauce really tones down the tomato sauce.
- 9 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 container ricotta cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 jar of favorite pasta sauce
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the bacon into small cubes and render in a heavy pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the sausage and mushrooms, cook until the sausage is browned.
- Add the jar of sauce, stir until cooked through, add 2 cloves of minced garlic, stir Place 1 c of sauce on the bottom of an 11x13 pan.
- Place 2 lasagna noodles over the top, spread a thin layer of ricotta over each noodle, top with sauce and repeat until all 3 layers are done Top with the ramaining sauce and the cheeses.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- With 20 minutes left, start making the bechamel sauce to serve over the lasagna Melt 5 Tbls of butter onver medium heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, blend so it is smooth Gradually add the milk, stirring as you go.
- Cook until thickened, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the seasonings once it has thickened.
- Serve the lasagna with a spoonful of bechamel over the top.