Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Wonderful as an appetizer or main dish. Recipe doubles nicely.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb potato, scrubbed and sliced
- 8 ounces red cabbage, cored and coarsely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces lean ground veal
- 8 ounces ground lean pork
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Add potatoes, cabbage and onion; cook about 5 minutes until crisp-tender, stirring frequently.
- Add ½ cup water; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine veal, pork, breadcrumbs, grated lemon peel, 1 tbsp.
- of the chopped parsley, salt and pepper; blend everything together with your hands or a wooden spoon.
- Shape mixture into 1½ balls.
- In 12" skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp.
- oil; cook meatballs about 15 minutes, turning frequently until well browned on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meatballs to saucepan with cabbage mixture; keep warm.
- Stir flour into drippings in skillet; add the lemon juice, remaining 1 tbsp.
- parsley and Worcestershire sauce and capers.
- Gradually stir in ¾ cup water; increase heat to high.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute.
- To serve, pour mixture over meatball-cabbage mixture in saucepan and toss well.
- Spoon into serving bowl.
Just a little information that red cabbage can be a sauerkraut. In Germany it is know as Rotkraut.
Red cabbage is no Sauerkraut. This should be called Red Cabbage with spicy meatballs.