Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
SO GOOD :)
Make and share this Saudi Rice With Lamb and Potato recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into medium cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 g ground lamb
- 2 dried limes, cut into halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, leaves
- 3 maggi mutton stock cubes (Authentic Taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- Heat oil in sauce pan (reserve 3 tablespoon of oil) and fry the potato cubes until the potatoes become golden in color and tender. Set aside.
- Heat the left 3 tablespoons in a large pot. Fry onions for 3-4 minutes or until golden in color then add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add minced lamb and fry for 5 minutes or until it becomes brown in color. Add dried limes, spices, MAGGI Mutton Stock (Authentic Taste) cubes and tomato paste, stir for 1 minute then add the water and bring to boil.
- Add the rice and the fried potatoes, bring to boil with occasional stirring, cover and simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked.
I have made this twice now and my whole family loves it. Because lamb is not widely available where I live I make it with ground turkey instead. It's still great, though I would like to try it with the lamb at some point too. Make some Naan to go with it and you will have a great meal.
This is really delicious for DH, DD (toddler) and I. I use canola oil to be soy free, yellow potatoes or different types of winter squash since we have been trying to avoid potatoes, lean ground beef with a little extra canola oil instead of lamb, black dried limes for which I remove any visible seeds, instead of Maggi cubes I use Emirati Style Yellow Chicken Stock to be gluten free which works perfect in this dish. I serve this rice with plain Balkan (thick) yogurt or Beet Root and Apple Raita which is absolutely delicious mixed in or Yogurt Salad (Jajeek) which is more traditional but we prefer the beet apple one! Plus a fresh salad such as, Cucumber and Pomegranate Salad. I will make this again & again.