Lentils With Rice and Potato
This is a super way to add some flavour and texture to your rice dish when having a curry. With this there is no need for a dish of dhal. The dhal and rice cook together so you save all round. This really is a super rice dish. Very, very easy to cook.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup red lentil
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut to 1-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Place lentils in a bowl and cover with cold water, allow to stand for 15 minutes Wash the lentils in running water till the water runs clear.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the cloves and cumin seeds for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and potato, stir and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, rice, turmeric and salt and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the water, bring to the boil, cover the pan , reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, leave the lid on the pan and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with any curry dish.