Recipe by *Parsley*
A saucy side dish!
Top Review by Engrossed
YUM YUM! This sorta reminded me of a vegetarian moussaka but with different spices. It was CREAMY and FLAVORFUL and nice for a cold winters night. I used twice as much whole wheat flour and 1 percent milk. I think I will add the cheese at the end the next time because it burned. Freddy Cat says it was nice visiting you Parsley! Made for the Went to the Market game.
- 1 medium eggplants or 1 large eggplant, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a square casserole dish; set aside.
- Cut peeled eggplant into small cubes; boil them in salted boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic until soft.
- Add flour and stir briskly until absorbed.
- Slowly stir in the milk; cook over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened.
- Add diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Stir well.
- Add the cooked, drained eggplant cubes and stir to mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.