1/1 Photo of Sarma - Bosnian Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
3 hrs 30 mins
There are different versions of this recipe from all over the Balkans. You may be able to get sour cabbage from an Eastern European market; if not, you can boil the cabbage heads until soft enough to work with (the dish will taste slightly different - maybe add some vinegar to the broth). It is a very filling dish! Don't worry about leftovers, they taste just fine reheated (use the stove, not the microwave)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Separate the cabbage leaves, being careful not to tear them.
- 2Mix meat, rice, onion, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 3Place about a tablespoon or more (use your own judgment based on the size of the leaves) of the meat mixture into each cabbage leaf, near its base.
- 4Begin rolling the leaf from the base into a thick cylinder, tucking in the sides after the first "roll."
- 5Layer the cylinders tightly into a medium-sized or large pot.
- 6Cover the sarma with beef stock or water (I find that if you use water, it makes its own broth anyways with the meat as it cooks).
- 7Cover the pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for at least three hours.
- 8Serve with butter and sour cream, with or without some of the cooking liquids according to your preference.
- 9*Boiled potatoes are often eaten with sarma, and they go quite well together.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarma - Bosnian Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.5
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 58.1 mg
- Sodium 99.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 18.3 g