Recipe by khah
This is sweet, & full of vitamin A!! You may add more or less milk, until you get the consistency you like
Top Review by rsarahl
Nice combination of sweet potato, onion and ginger. Butter adds a creamy and rich flavor. Chicken stock rounds out the mix, but vegetable broth, margarine and soy milk(if necessary) would be a nice change for a vegetarian option. I did not like step 7 where I had to add the potatoes, broth and seasonings back to the pan only to be taken right back out to the blender. Next time, I will deglaze the pan with the broth then add the onion and broth mixture to the blender with the potatoes and spices. Seems like it saves some mess in the pan that way. Also, I did not have to add any milk to my mixture to get a nice puree as the broth was plenty. But, a nice puree that my toddler especially enjoyed. Thank you!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled &,cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large pot& cover w/ cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat& cook until potatoes are done, about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes& set aside.
- Rinse pot.
- Melt butter in pot over low heat.
- Add onions & saute until translucent.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, ground ginger,& salt.
- Remove from heat.
- Place cooled soup in the bowl of a food processor or blender, in batches if necessary.
- Pulse several times to break down mixture.
- Add milk 1/4 c at a time,& process to a puree.
- Return soup to pot & season w/ freshly ground pepper.
- Reheat over low flame until heated through & serve.