Recipe by Sara 76
I love making this. It's such a nice winter meal, and it's so easy and quick, and best of all..so economical!! Growing up, Mum made shepherds pie almost weekly. Over the years I have altered it, and this is the way my family enjoys it now. We don't serve this with anything, except maybe a nice bread roll.
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gravy mix
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 6 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook onions untiil tender, add beef and carrots.
- Stir in gravy powder, garlic, pepper, and herbs.
- Add enough water to just cover the meat mixture, stir, cover, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, and mashe with butter and milk.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs into potato until creamy.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes. You can spoon the potatoes on, or if you want a nicer presentation and you have the time, pipe on with a piping bag.
- Top with grated cheese, and bake at 180C for around 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and just started to brown.