Easy Buttery Shepherds Pie
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs certified angus beef ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 15 3⁄4 ounces beef broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Saute beef, onion, celery and garlic in a large pan until well done.
- Strain off fat, leaving meat in the strainer and reserving pan for later use.
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash with butter.
- Blanch carrots (or microwave until al dente) and add to beef mixture.
- Whisk broth with flour to thicken, and add to the pan. When gravy comes to a boil, add beef and carrot mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Spoon potatoes on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Top with cheese and let sit until cheese melts from the radiated heat; approximately 5 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I don't really like Shepherd's Pie we do in Quebec (beef, corn and mashed potatoes). But this version is so good. I love it and I'll do it again. I love all the veggies in it. I added green bell pepper. I love the sauce with the beef base (I used no-sodium). I heated the sauce in the microwave. I cooked the carrots in the microwave also. When the cheese was a little bit melted, I decided to put the oven at Broil to broil the cheese. Yummy! Thanks Cooks4_6 for a yummy meal :) Made for 123 hit wonders.