1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
By Sarah Copeland (Food Network Magazine June/July 2009)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the base
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 sleeve saltine, finely crushed (40 crackers, regular or whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
For the filling and glaze
- 1Make the base: Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending it over the sides.
- 2Put the butter in a medium heatproof bowl; position the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water (the bowl should not touch the water). Once the butter melts, stir in the sugar and cocoa.
- 3Whisk in the egg; cook, whisking, until the mixture is warm and the consistency of hot fudge, 6 minutes.
- 4Remove from the heat; mix in the saltine crumbs and peanuts.
- 5Press the crust into the pan.
- 6Set aside the saucepan of water.
- 7Make the filling: Spread the jelly over the crust in the pan; place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- 8Beat 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter, the peanut butter and confectioners' sugar with a mixer until light.
- 9Spread over the jelly layer; return to the freezer while you make the glaze.
- 10Place the chocolate and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a heatproof bowl; set over the pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- 11Remove from the heat; stir until smooth.
- 12When cool but still runny, spread the glaze over the chilled peanut butter layer.
- 13Freeze for another 30 minutes.
- 14Bring the bars to room temperature.
- 15Use the foil flaps to remove the bars from the pan; cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarah's Pb&j Chocolate Bars
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.8
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 54.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g