1/1 Photo of Sarah Bernhardt Cakes (Sarah Bernhardt-Kager) (Danish)
Sarah Bernhardt, the great French actress, captured Danish hearts to such an extent that they named these special chocolate mousse topped meringue cakes after her.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package blanched slivered almonds, pulverized in a blender
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
TOPPING AND DECORATION
- 1Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease and flour it.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until foamy; add the sugar, and beat until mixture holds soft peaks.
- 4Fold in the pulverized almonds, cornstarch, and almond extract.
- 5Spoon into 12 mounds evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet, allowing plenty of space between them.
- 6Bake until top is dry and cakes are a creamy color, about 10 minutes.
- 7Remove from sheet and cool on rack.
- 8Melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips in a small bowl over hot water.
- 9Melt the butter in another pan.
- 10Whip the egg with the lemon rind, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- 11Mix the COOLED chocolate and butter together and add the egg mixture.
- 12When this has thickened, spread it over the base of the cakes, allowing the mixture to set.
- 13Melt the remaining chocolate and pour over the firm chocolate layer.
- 14Decorate each cake with an almond.
- 15Makes 12 cakes.
- 16The Great Scandinavian Baking Book…-- Beatrice Ojakangas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarah Bernhardt Cakes (Sarah Bernhardt-Kager) (Danish)
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.6
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 50.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g