Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A quick to put together cake. Please note, if you keep cake for more than 24 hours, it should be refrigerated.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups red plums, pitted and quartered (about 8)
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until; stiff and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and lemon rind.
- Stir together flour and baking powder and then beat into creamed mixture.
- Fold in egg whites gently but thoroughly.
- Spread batter evenly in a greased and floured tube pan. ( There will be a little over 1-inch of batter in pan.)
- Arrange plums skin side down, attractively over batter.
- Bake cake in a 375F oven for 40 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.