Recipe by Debber
This recipe came about when son Sam and daughter Amber conspired to "help" make breakfast one Saturday morning. We always figure one piece of fruit for each person eating (5 people = 5 fruits). Cooking time is figured for letting fruit sit for a few minutes make make its own syrup--you can skip this step if someone is "starving!"
Top Review by MA HIKER
What a nice fruit salad! My kids liked the cinnamon accent. I used canned mandarin oranges since fresh aren't so nice right now. This is great with yogurt on or oatmeal. Thanks! ZWT 3
- 2 apples, washed, quartered, cored
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut fruits into bite-size pieces over a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle nuts over the top.
- In a separate (small) bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over fruits & nuts; mix well.
- This creates its own syrup if you let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- NOTE: Substitute "in-season" fruits (berries, melons) or go with "tropical" fruits (mango, kiwi) for a different flavor.
- VARIATION: Zap in the microwave for a bit to serve it warm--this is great to serve over panny cakes or waffles, too!