Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe came about when son Sam and daughter Amber conspired to "help" make breakfast one Saturday morning. We always figure one piece of fruit for each person eating (5 people = 5 fruits). Cooking time is figured for letting fruit sit for a few minutes make make its own syrup--you can skip this step if someone is "starving!"
- 2 apples, washed, quartered, cored
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cut fruits into bite-size pieces over a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle nuts over the top.
- In a separate (small) bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over fruits & nuts; mix well.
- This creates its own syrup if you let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- NOTE: Substitute "in-season" fruits (berries, melons) or go with "tropical" fruits (mango, kiwi) for a different flavor.
- VARIATION: Zap in the microwave for a bit to serve it warm--this is great to serve over panny cakes or waffles, too!
What a nice fruit salad! My kids liked the cinnamon accent. I used canned mandarin oranges since fresh aren't so nice right now. This is great with yogurt on or oatmeal. Thanks! ZWT 3
Easy and delicious! I opted to use pineapple, peaches, strawberries and apples. I loved the cinnamon flavor! Thanks Debber!
This was really nice. I made this for me & my toddler daughter so cut out the walnuts & reduced the sugar a bit too. I used about 3 tsp sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon, I found this plenty sweet enough. May even cut it out altogether next time & use some pineapple juice to mix with the cinnamon instead. A nice simple salad to put together with ingredients always on hand. Made for ZWT III.