Recipe by Chef Nozy
This is one of the best must have chilli sambal or sauce or paste from Padang Indonesia. Ijo or Hijau means green. I used to study in Bandung, Indonesia and every time I went there, I will never forget to eat in Padang or Minang restaurant. And the must in my menu Sambal Ijo. Try it, you are going to luv it. Its very easy to prepare. For those who like it extremely hot, just add in more bird eye chillies.
- 14 green chilies
- 2 green bird eye chilies (optional)
- 5 shallots
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- silver fish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the chillies and shallots until they are soft and tender.
- Chop and lightly pound them using the mortar or pestle.
- Put the chillies and shallots aside and heat the oil.
- Fry the silver fish or ikan bilis til they are half golden ( if you use this).
- Add the pounded paste, vinegar and salt and sauté them about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with steamed white rice.