Prep 8 hrs 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Salt fish/cod fish is widely used throughout the Caribbean. This is a popular dish. From Caribbean Cooking for Pleasure, by Mary Slater
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1 green pepper, de seeded & chopped
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces bacon fat
- 8 ounces cooked salt fish, flaked
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces cooked yams or 8 ounces english potatoes, sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 pint milk (U.S 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- TO PREPARE SALT FISH: soak salt fish overnight in cold water, drain. Put into a saucepan, covered with fresh cold water, bring to the boil & simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Fry the onion, tomatoes & pepper in heated lard or bacon fat.
- Add the fish & mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste.
- Arrange the yam or potato slices to cover the bottom and sides of a greased ovenproof dish.
- Pile in the fish mixture.
- Dot with butter & milk.
- Sprinkle with parsley & bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minutes (375° Gas Mark 5).