Prep 8 hrs 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I saw this on Rick Bayless's show "Mexico - One Plate at a Time" and it looked delicious and relatively easy. Resting time for the dough is included in the prep time. Be sure to use the fresh Mexican-style chorizo not the smoked Spanish-style.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 8 ounces tomatillos, de-husked and rinsed (3 to 4 medium)
- 1 -2 serrano chili, stems removed
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro or 6 sprigs parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 small white onion, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water, at room-temperature
- 1⁄3 cup beer (a light lager is good)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed and cooked thoroughly
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese, coarsely crumbled into roughly 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated queso anejo or 2 tablespoons romano cheese or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- cilantro or parsley, to garnish
- For the sauce: Roast the tomatillos, chile(s) and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler, until blotchy black and softening (they’ll be turning from lime green to olive), about 5 minutes. Flip them over and roast the other side.
- Cool, then transfer everything to a blender, including all the juice that has accumulated. Add the cilantro or parsley and 1/4 cup water, then blend to a coarse puree. Scoop into a serving dish.
- Rinse the onion under cold water, then drain well to remove excess moisture. Stir into the salsa and season with salt to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon.
- For the crust: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, yeast and salt. Measure in the water and beer. Stir to combine everything into a rough-looking mass. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours.
- After the dough has raised, heat the oven to 500°F.
- Generously oil a 13 x 18 rimmed baking sheet (a half sheet pan). Use a rubber spatula to gently deflate the dough and scrape it out onto the baking sheet. Gently coax the dough into a mostly even rectangle about 9 by 13 inches.
- Spread on 2/3 cup roasted tomatillo salsa (save the rest for snacking later), leaving a 1-inch border around the outside. Scatter on the cooked chorizo, sliced red onion and crumbled goat cheese. Bake in the middle of the oven until puffy and brown, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with queso anejo and cilantro or parsley leaves, cut in squares and serve.
Suggest cooking pizza 20 min at 500 degrees. Amazing pizza :) Crust was so crispy and easy! Definitely will make it again!