- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed and peeled (I used 4)
- 4 1⁄2 cups peeled and seeded fresh tomatoes or 4 1⁄2 cups canned and drained Italian plum tomatoes, finely chopped or whirled in a processor or blender (I used regular tomatoes)
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped,sauted
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (or other herb I used italian seasoning here)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and minced or crushed garlic gently in a small saucepan until the garlic is golden.
- If desired, discard the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook gently for 30 minutes or until the juices are reduced and the oil separates from tomatoes.
- The sauce should be thick enough to hold its shape on a spoon.
- Stir in the basil or other herbs and stir over heat 5 minutes.