Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Winter Tomato Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (32 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice
- In a small bowl soak dried tomatoes in boiling water 30 minutes and drain in a sieve over a bowl.
- Chop soaked tomatoes coarse.
- While dried tomatoes are soaking, in a saucepan cook onion and garlic in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add canned tomatoes with juice, stirring to break up tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer sauce, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Puree sauce through the fine disk of a food mill or force it through a coarse sieve set over a bowl. Sauce may be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered.