Recipe by Sam Saguaro
Red Enchilada Sauce: The real deal! Mexican cooks out here make this one with out tomato sauce. Just like in the restaurants, only better.
- 10 -12 colorado dried red chilies
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the chilies in oven @ 350 on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes.Remove and place in a paper bag for 10 minutes.Remove from bag and discard the stems and seeds.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour into a blender one cup at a time and puree. Strain sauce through a sieve into a bowl, mashing with the back of a spoon. Discard solids. If sauce is too thin, place back in saucepan and reduce to the consistency of a thick tomato sauce.
- Serve warm over enchiladas or burritos, topped with shredded cheese.