Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Salmon season starts today! Fresh salmon right off the boat is indescribable. This is one of the many ways we like to cook it.
- 3⁄4 cup clam juice
- 1⁄3 cup dry white vermouth
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped,plus some whole chives for garnish
- 1 lb center cut skinless salmon fillet, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine the clam juice, vermouth, and shallots in a small saucepan.
- Boil until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream and continue boiling until sauce coats a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice.
- Strain sauce and return to saucepan.
- Add chopped chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon on a cutting board and, using a sharp knife, cut salmon on a deep diagonal (almost parallel to work surface) into eight scallops 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.
- Sprinkle salmon scallops with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, add salmon to skillet and cook about 30 seconds on each side until opaque in center.
- Bring sauce to a boil and divide between four plates.
- Arrange salmon on top of sauce.
- Garnish with whole chives.