Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Since the sauce is made separately, you may bake, broil, pan-fry or grill the fish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs skinless salmon fillets
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil; brush with olive oil.
- Season both sides of the salmon filets with salt and pepper.
- Bake until salmon flakes easily, about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a heavy saucepan, simmer shallots, vinegar and wine until shallots are soft and very little liquid remains.
- Add the butter and 2 tablespoons water, whisking constantly over high heat until the butter is melted and incorporated.
- Stir in the parsley, capers and lemon zest.
- Serve over the salmon.
Absolutely delicious! The only thing I did differently was saute the shallot in butter first then added the vinegar and wine after they were a tad browned (I have texture issues with onions and shallots). I served this with a tomato salad that had diced avocados, feta cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. The whole meal was beautiful and tasted spectacular!
I did make some additions: I put lemon juice in step 5 rather than water, it wasn't necessary, between the vinegar (I used white balsamic) and zest it was tart enough, although the sub didn't make it too tart or lemony. I did put 1 T refrigerated minced garlic with the green onion I used insead of shallot. I dusted the salmon with granulated garlic and powdered rosemary and basil and sprinkled with smoked kosher salt instead of table salt, I forgot the pepper, didn't miss it. I think the butter (I used no-salt butter) could be reduced by nearly half, there was a lot left in the bottom of the dish. Serving size was generous, we only ate half, but I served a hearty pasta side dish, asparagus and a spinach fruit salad with it. 20 minutes in my convection oven at 400 degrees was perfect, it was flaky and moist. Delicious! A definate do-again!
Delicious! Great over boiled potatoes and asparagus on the side. I think the sauce would be good over just about everything.