Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2004 found on FoodNetwork.com. This is a beautiful presentation of this great "duo". We cut down on the yolks in the recipe - we used 2 whole eggs and 7 whites - if you choose, you can play around with the eggs.
- 8 slices good quality smoked salmon (each slice about 3 1/2 by 7 inches)
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 9 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 -3 teaspoon white horseradish cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces caviar
- dill sprigs, for garnish
- 1⁄4 red onion, chopped, for garnish
- 6 slices brioche bread or 6 slices homemade-style white bread, lightly toasted, buttered, and cut into triangles with crusts removed
- Lay 1 slice of salmon in the center of 4 plates. Lay a second slice of salmon across the first to form an "x."
- In a small bowl, whisk together the creme fraiche, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs.
- Add the cream, salt, pepper, & horseradish and whisk until very frothy.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of the chopped chives and the parsley, and whisk to blend.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the eggs, and cook, stirring constantly, until fluffy and barely set, removing the pan from the heat occasionally to prevent from overcooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat when almost completely set and stir gently.
- Spoon the eggs into the center of the smoked salmon packages.
- Bring up the sides of the salmon to completely enclose the eggs.
- Drizzle each package with 2 tablespoons of the lemon creme fraiche and sprinkle with the remaining chopped chives.
- Top with caviar, garnish with dill sprigs and red onion, and arrange 3 toast triangles on each plate.
- Serve immediately, as you sip your champagne cocktail.